Saturday, June 15, 2013

The Very Empty Seat by Victor Sullivan

     © 2013
A student pilot's first solo flight.

How often have you seen an empty seat? I mean totally empty, utterly empty, terminally empty?
I have. Once. I'll never forget the occasion. It happened half a century ago but every detail is vividly etched in my memory.

It began with a simple wish, desire, ambition, a decision and finally, action. I would learn to fly.
I signed up, paid the fee, bought the books, studied, learned a great deal and pleased my instructor who provided one-to-one practical tuition and who sat beside me on my hour-long training sessions, all of which I found thoroughly enjoyable and exciting. I was making really good progress, I was becoming intuitive my instructor informed me. 

On one memorable day, following the routine preparation, pre-flight checks and engine warmup time, I communicated with the Control Tower and received permission for EI-AMF, ('Mike Fox' in aviation terminology), to taxi to the end of runway 35 at Cork Airport for another training session. With my trusted flying instructor beside me I prepared for take-off, moved forward and aligned the aircraft with the centre-line of runway 35. We waited with engine ticking over. 
"Mike-Fox you have permission to take-off" crackled the message from the Control Tower. I reached for the throttle only to have my hand grasped by my instructor. 
"Wait! Let me out first."
He opened the cockpit door and stepped onto the runway. "Off you go! Good luck! You're on your own for just one circuit!" he added as he closed the door.
Adrenaline production went into overdrive, pulse rate tripled, I was invincible. I opened the throttle and with engine roaring, accelerated along the centre-line of Runway 35, getting faster and faster, the rumbling of the wheels on the concrete adding to the noise level. I reached take-off speed, pressed gently back on the control column and the vibrating contribution from the wheels was hushed. I was airborne. I flew straight and level for a little longer to pick up more speed then began to climb. The airport buildings and control tower fell away behind me. I was applying everything I had learned as and when necessary, confident in my mastery of my new skills.

Independence! Freedom! A break from the bonds of gravity! This is what humans had longed to do for millions of years, to fly like the birds. Now I was doing it, even if only for one circuit of the airport. 
Time to turn right; bank gently, turn ninety degrees, maintain altitude, perfectly executed. Keep a lookout for other aircraft, (even though I knew the next plane due hadn't even left London).
I was ecstatic, enjoying my utter independence in this three dimensional environment. Monarch of all I surveyed; from that place and time it meant the entire city of Cork, its vast Harbour and environs with the shimmering river Lee winding its way through the lush scenery that was spread out below me. All too soon it was time to start my next turn to the right onto the next leg of my circuit.
That was the moment when I caught sight of the instructor's seat beside me. It was empty, utterly, utterly EMPTY!!!!!! It was the emptiest seat I had ever seen .... and I was alone, very alone, up there in the clear blue sky, flying a light aircraft at 120 miles per hour with the altimeter indicating 1,200 feet.  I completed the right angle turn and flew parallel to the main runway from which I had taken off a couple of minutes earlier but I was now going in the opposite direction. I had to get back to the other end from where I had begun my takeoff and land on that tiny strip of concrete that seemed to have become far smaller than it had ever been before. The seat beside me continued to be life-threatingly empty. 
That was when I experienced one of those Moments of Truth spoken of by the Great Philosophers: I would have to land this aircraft by myself, just me, alone. No other human on the planet could land it for me, there was no point in expecting help from anyone, not from my flying instructor, my mother, St. Patrick, the Wright brothers, the angel Gabriel or God. It was simply up to me, in my sublime isolation, to land the plane intact and undamaged with me inside it, equally undamaged.

Another thought rose momentarily to prominence. There would be watchers, Control Tower staff, casual observers in the passenger terminal, plane spotters, my anxious flying instructor and Aero Club fellow members, all watching my first solo landing, ready to declare it a mere solo 'arrival' if it was anything other than a perfect landing.
Concentrate Victor! The seat beside me was still extremely empty and that miniscule patch of concrete down there was where I would have to land this machine.
One more right turn and it would be time to alert the Air Traffic Controller with: "Mike Fox turning finals."
"Mike Fox you are clear to land."
I turned 90 degrees and was on my final approach towards the rapidly growing runway.


Photo by the author but not taken on the same occasion!

 I flew steadily towards the white line painted down the centre of runway 35. Engine ticking over, airspeed correct, glide-path correct, wings level, over the painted stripes of the runway threshold, steady, hold off..... let it sink.... keep it straight ... steady... both wheels kiss the concrete gently and simultaneously without even a hint of a bounce... slow down now, keep straight...  gentle brake pressure. A perfect landing! I have flown solo! I can fly a plane all by myself! Euphoria! 
I brought Mike Fox almost to a stop, then turned around carefully and taxied back sedately and proudly to the the Munster Aero Club's premises, there to be met and congratulated by my instructor and a press photographer, Roy Hammond. 


The author after his first solo flight. Photo by the late Roy Hammond
  
While walking from the aircraft to the Clubhouse my euphoria was suddenly quenched:  It is customary to buy a round of drinks for everyone in the Aero Club bar on completing one's first solo flight. Had I enough cash in my pocket? Not having expected to fly solo that day, I hadn't a bean. The photographer came to my rescue and offered me a loan. Many years later his son married my daughter.

10 comments:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) +918376918351 Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I Got My Loan From A Genuine And Reliable Loan Company

    My name is Mr Frank. I live in USA and i am a happy MAN today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $150,000,00 and was scammed by those fraudulent lenders and a friend introduce me to MR IBRAHIM MUSA,and he lend me the loan without any stress,you can contact him at (creationfinance7@gmail.com)

    1. Your Full names:_______
    2. Contact address:_______
    3. Country Of Residence:______
    4. Loan Amount Required:________
    5. Duration:_____
    6. Gender:_____
    7. Occupation:________
    8. Monthly Income:_______
    9. Date Of Birth:________
    10.Telephone Number:__________

    Regards.
    Contact Him At :creationfinance7@gmail.com
    WhatsApp Number +919717357946

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Everyone,

    We are here to help you with all your financial needs. Are you in debt? Have you been rejected by banks and other financial institutions? Do you need funding for your real estate projects? Does your existing/new business need funding? If yes, Kindly get in touch with us for we provide loans of all kinds at moderate interest rates over borrower-friendly duration with a repayment grace period.

    Email: triumphantfinanceltd@gmail.com

    I will be waiting to discuss offers with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are project funder as well as financial lender. We have BG/SBLC specifically for BUY/LEASE at a leasing price of 4%+2% of face value Issuance by HSBC London and many other 25 top AA rated Bank in Europe, Middle East or USA. We also secure funding. Also We are into the provision of short term and long term business/personal loans for both small and large scale business funds.

    * FOR LEASING OF BG/SBLC
    MINIMUM FACE VALUE OF BG/SBLC = EUR/USD 1M
    LEASING FEE = 4%+2%

    * FOR PURCHASE OF FRESH CUT BG/SBLC
    PRICE = 32%+2%
    MINIMUM FACE VALUE OF BG/SBLC = EUR/USD 1M

    Intermediaries/Consultants/Brokers are welcome to bring their clients and are 100% protected. In complete confidence, we will work together for the benefits of all parties involved.
    Contact Name : Donagh sheridan
    Contact Email: donaghsheridan@gmail.com
    Skype:donaghsheridan@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

  5. ARE YOU LOOKING FOR LOAN, PROJECT FINANCE, STARTUP FUNDING, MT760 BG/SBLC LEASE OR SALE ???
    WE ARE REGISTERED PRIVATE LENDER, INVESTOR, FINANCE TRADER, DIRECT PROVIDER OF BANK GUARANTEES(BG), STANDBY LETTERS OF CREDIT(SBLC), LETTER OF CREDIT (LC), NON RECOURSE LOAN, PROJECT FUNDING FROM TOP RATED BANKS WORLDWIDE AT DISCOUNT RATE..
    APPLY NOW!!! FOR CASH LOAN OR BANK INSTRUMENT TO START A NEW BUSINESS OR TO EXPAND EXISTING BUSINESS.
    PLEASE CONTACT US THROUGH EMAIL : GLOBALFINANCELTDHK@GMAIL.COM OR GLOBALFINANCELTDHK@YAHOO.COM
    #PERSONAL LOAN!!! #BUSINESS LOAN!!! #MONEY LENDER!!! #IMPORT FUNDING!!! #EXPORT FUNDING!!! #TRADE FINANCE!!! #PROJECT FINANCE!!! #PROJECT FUNDING!!! #LEASE/SALE MT760 BG/SBLC!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. GENUINE BANK GUARANTEE (BG) AND STANDBY LETTER OF CREDIT (SBLC) FOR BUY OR LEASE AT THE BEST AVAILABLE RATES
    Dear Sir/Ma,
    We offer certified and verifiable financial bank instruments via Swift Transmission from a genuine provider capable
    of taking up time bound transactions.
    FOR LEASING OF BG/SBLC
    MINIMUM FACE VALUE OF BG/SBLC = EUR/USD 1M
    LEASING FEE = 4%+2%
    FOR PURCHASE OF FRESH CUT BG/SBLC
    PRICE = 32%+2%
    MINIMUM FACE VALUE OF BG/SBLC = EUR/USD 1M
    Our BG/SBLC Financing can help you get your project funded,
    loan financing by providing you with yearly.
    RWA ready to close leasing with any interested client in few banking days
    I will be glad to share with you our working procedures.
    Name : Scott james
    Email : inquiry.securedfunding@gmail.com
    Skype : Inquiry.securedfunding@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you looking to Discount, Monetize, or create an immediate Non Recourse loan against a Leased or Purchased bank instrument such as BG,SBLC and Bank Drafts, We solely deal with real deals, real people and real Leased & Purchased Bank instruments that need real monetization. The Bank SWIFT Network is the Gold Standard that validates that your Leased & Purchased Bank instruments is real and it provides a respected industry platform where guaranteed settlement can be facilitated.

    Our contracts also include the monetizer returning the Leased bank instrument to the Issuing bank 15 days prior to the bank instrument expiration.

    Standby Letter of Credit Monetization LTV:

    *Leased BG/SBLC Monetization - 65% Non Recourse
    *Purchased BG/SBLC Monetization - 90% Non Recourse.

    Estimated Completion Time:

    *2-3 Days After Instrument Delivery on the SWIFT Networks.

    We also have trusted and long term business partners/providers who can facilitate issuance & delivery of bank instruments such as BG,SBLC,LC,DLC and Bank Draft at Lease Price 4% + 2% and Purchase price at 32% + 2% where 2% is agent and brokers commission.

    For further enquiries, we can be reached at the information below.

    Email: inquiry.trustedfinanceplc@gmail.com

    Skype : inquiry.trustedfinance@gmail.com

    Name: GARVAN MAIREAD

    Whatsapp : +17329300338

    ReplyDelete

  8. I am a veteran with the world trade organization humanitarian delivery agency, an ancillary of the UN..
    Mrs. Bernice Clark 69 died of covid-19 related virus. Before her death she left manifold amounts with a security & finance firm in Europe for preservation. she disclosed that the trust-funds should not be left unclaimed. You are to stand as the stipendiary to  late Bernice Clark.
    Get back to us with your interestedness at (wldtrdeorgnztionhumangcy@gmail.com). and contact data for all other formalities which are certifiable.
    Hoping to have an opulence pact with you on communal trust.

    ReplyDelete
  9. GENUINE BANK GUARANTEE (BG) AND STANDBY LETTER OF CREDIT (SBLC) FOR BUY OR LEASE AT THE BEST AVAILABLE RATES
    We offer certified and verifiable financial bank instruments via Swift Transmission from a genuine provider capable
    of taking up time bound transactions.
    FOR LEASING OF BG/SBLC
    MINIMUM FACE VALUE OF BG/SBLC = EUR/USD 1M
    LEASING FEE = 4%+2%
    FOR PURCHASE OF FRESH CUT BG/SBLC
    MINIMUM FACE VALUE OF BG/SBLC = EUR/USD 1M
    PRICE = 32%+2%
    Our BG/SBLC Financing can help you get your project funded,
    loan financing by providing you with yearly.
    RWA ready to close leasing with any interested client in few banking days
    I will be glad to share with you our working procedures.
    Name : Thomas Wolfgang
    Email : inquiry.fastfunding@gmail.com
    Skype : inquiry.fastfunding@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. BITCOIN RECOVERY IS VERY MUCH REAL, AM A LIVING TESTIMONY!!!!
    I was actually fooled and scammed over ( $753,000 ) by someone I trusted with my funds through a transaction we did and I feel so disappointed and hurt knowing that someone can steal from you without remorse after trusting them, so I started searching for help legally to recover my stolen funds and latter came across a lot of testimonials about JAMESMCKAYWIZARD, an agent who helps in recovering lost funds, which I can tell has helped so many people who had contacted him regarding such issues and without a questionable doubt their funds was returned back to their wallet in a very short space of time, it took the expert 48hours to help me recover my funds and the best part of it all was that the scammers was actually located and arrested by local authorities in his region which was very relieving. Hope this helps as many people who have lost their hard earned money to scammers out of trust, you can reach him through the link below for help to recover your scammed funds and thank me later. Email Address: jamesmckaywizard@gmail.comOr WhatsApp: +919863293475

    ReplyDelete